The Department of Agricultural Economics started functioning in 1960 as an integral part of the College of Agriculture. In the beginning it used to offer only undergraduate courses. The Master’s degree programme was started in 1963 and the Ph.D. degree programme in 1970. A new M.Sc. (Ag.) programme was started in Rural Banking in the year 1976 which successfully continued till 1992. The Department engages itself in all the three core activities of teaching, research and extension which constitute the integrated system of education in the university. In the last 54 years of its existence, the department has built up expertise in almost all the major fields of agricultural economics.
Vision:Agricultural and Rural Development with equity and sustainability through excellence in teaching, research, extension and training.
Achievements (Faculty Awards/honours)
- Impact assessment of project “Potash for Life “ for improving productivity and profitability of crops in India -funded by DSW, Israel.
- Mapping the adoption of improved verities of major crops and management practices in Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand -funded by IFPRI, Washington DC.
Variety released during last 5 years
Research Papers (numbers during last 5 years)
|Year||Number of Papers|
Significant Contribution (National/state level)
Ongoing Extension Activities:
- Promotion and demonstration of hybrid rice PA 6444 and improved variety wheat PBW 226 for food security in tribal dominating villages of CD blocks Kalsi and Chakrata district Dehradun Uttarakhand.
- Organized trainings, farmer-scientist interactions/field days etc. to educate and strengthened the knowledge of tribal farmers for improved crop production in Kalsi and Chakrata blocks, Dehradun for their food and nutritional security.
Seminar/Workshop/Training/Symposium (conducted in last five years)
- Organized Post Kharif workshop NAIP on “Establishing & Networking of Agricultural Market Intelligence Centres in India”, September 20-23, 2011 GBPUAT, Pantnagar.
- Organized workshop on poverty, Hunger, Food Security and Nutrition : From Concepts to Measurement on August 23, 2014
- Organized 40 trainings under project “Integrated Farming System and Human Resource Planning and Management for Livelihood Security and Capacity Building of Tribal Community in CD blocks Kalsi and Chakrata, district Dehradun, Uttarakhand”
- Conducted 30 farmers’ Training during 2009-14 to create awareness among farmers regarding market information and intelligence.