OFFICE OF THE REGISTRAR
Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar was established in 1960 by an Act of the State Legislature of Uttar Pradesh (XLV of 1958) in the Tarai region of Uttar Pradesh (now Uttarakhand). It was dedicated to the nation on 17th November 1960 by the First Prime Minister of India, Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru.
Objectives: The Act inscribes the objectives of the University among others, as under:
a. making provision for the education of the rural people of the State in different branches of study particularly in agriculture, rural industry and business and other allied Sciences;
b. furthering the prosecution of research particularly in agriculture and other allied sciences; and
c. undertaking field and extension programmes.
The University aims at reaching the remotest of the remote areas of its jurisdiction in order to cater to the needs of those requiring its services, and desiring participation in its programmes. The University commits itself to become a vital instrument for the socio-economic transformation of rural masses of Uttarakhand.
Goals and objectives:
1. Creation of opportunities for quality education in Agriculture, Veterinary & Animal Sciences, Technology, Home Science, Basic Science, Fishery Science, Business Management and Computer Application programmes.
2. Generation of new techniques to improve the production and productivity of crops and livestock.
3. Providing the required expertise and assistance to the planning and development departments of the State.
4. Strengthening and improving the infrastructure for improving quality education and for conducting need based research.
5. Strengthening and expanding the existing extension services for the development of rural areas of Uttarakhand.
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE
COLLEGE OF BASIC SCIENCE & HUMANITIES
COLLEGE OF VETERINARY & ANIMAL SCIENCES
COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY
COLLEGE OF FORESTRY, RANICHAURI (TEHRI GARHWAL)
COLLEGE OF FISHERIES SCIENCE
COLLEGE OF AGRI BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
COLLEGE OF HOME SCIENCE
COLLEGE OF HORTICULTURE, BHARSAR (PAURI GARHWAL)
COLLEGE OF POST GRADUATE STUDIES
The College consists of 72 departments out of which 61 departments offer Post-Graduate programmes.
Ph.D. Programmes (53)
Home Science Majors
Fisheries Science Major
1. Fisheries Resource Management
Veterinary Science Majors
Fisheries Science Majors
2. Fishery Biology
Home Science Majors
1. Clothing & Textiles
2. Family Resource Management
3. Foods & Nutrition
4. Human Development & Family Studies
1. Agril. Chemicals
2. Agril. Statistics
7. Environmental Science
8. Food Technology
11. Molecular Biology & Biotechnology
12. Plant Physiology
Veterinary Science Majors
1. Vety. Anatomy
2. Vety. Economics
3. Vety. Gynaecology & Obstetrics
4. Vety. Microbiology & Immunology
5. Vety. Public Health
6. Vety. Surgery & Radiology
7. Vety. Biochemistry
8. Vety. Medicine
9. Vety. Parasitology
10. Vety. Pathology
11. Vety. Pharmacology & Toxicology
12. Vety. Physiology
13. Vety. Epidemiology & Preventive Medicine
14. Vety. and Animal Husbandry Extension
15. Livestock Products Technology
16. Livestock Production & Management
17. Poultry Science
18. Animal Nutrition
19. Genetics & Animal Breeding
20 Animal Biotechnology
1. M.B.A. (Agribusines)
2. M.B.A. (Food Retail and Supply Chain)
1. Master of Computer Applications
Undergraduate Programmes (16)
4. B. V. Sc. & A.H.
6. B.Sc. Horticulture
7. B.Sc. (Food Technology)
8. B.Tech. Agril. Engg.
9. B. Tech. Civil Engg.
10. B. Tech. Computer Engg.
11. B. Tech. Elect. Engg.
12. B. Tech. Electronics & Communication Engg.
13. B. Tech. Mech. Engg.
14. B.Tech. Production Engg.
15. B. Tech. Information Technology
16. B.Tech. (Biotechnology)
1. Diploma in Commercial Horticulture (2 yrs)
2. Certificate Course in Horticulture (1 yr)
Degree Programmes/eligibility requirements
Minimum duration of various degree programmes
Admission to various undergraduate and postgraduate programmes are made through the entrance examination conducted by the University. For admission to various B.Tech. programmes the candidates are required to appear in AIEEE which is conducted by the CBSE. Entrance Examination for admission to Master programme in Biotechnology is conducted by the JNU, New Delhi whereas admission to various M.Tech. programmes is made through GATE. For the candidates other than Uttarakhand, the entrance examination is conducted by ICAR and VCI.
Reservation: As per Government norms, details of which are given hereunder:
a) Vertical Reservations:
OBC : 14%
SC : 19%
ST : 04%
b) Horizontal Reservations:
Within general, OBC, SC and ST categories (for UG programmes only) :
c) Over & above the sanctioned seats:
(i) All the sanctioned seats in Undergraduate and Postgraduate degree programmes (except B.Sc. Food Technology, MCA & Ph.D. in Management) shall be allotted to bonafide residents of Uttarakhand State.
(ii) Over and above the sanctioned seats, 30 percent of sanctioned seats are allotted to ICAR and 15 % of sanctioned seats are allotted to VCI at Undergraduate level (except B.Sc. Food Technology, B.Tech. programmes) as per the conditions laid down by the ICAR/VCI for admitting candidates others than Uttarakhand. In case of B.Sc. Food Technology 50% of the sanctioned seats shall be filled through ICAR. If the seats of B.Sc. (Food Technology) self-financing programme are not filled the same shall be filled from the candidates of Uttarakhand State and vice-versa.
In Master’s programme (except MCA) self-financing programme over and above the sanctioned seats, 30 percent of sanctioned seats are allotted to ICAR.
(iii) Admission for seats allotted to ICAR/VCI in UG and Masters’ programmes shall be made through Entrance Examination conducted by the ICAR/VCI.
(iv) In case of MCA (self-financing) programme 50% of the sanctioned seats shall be filled by the candidates from the States other than Uttarakhand and 50 % seats shall be filled by the candidates’ Bonafide resident of Uttarakhand State through the entrance examination conducted by the University. In case seats of other State remain vacant; the same may be filled from the candidates of Uttarakhand State and vice-versa.
(v) In Ph.D. programmes (except Ph.D. in Management) over and above the sanctioned seats, 25 percent of sanctioned seats shall be filled from the other State candidates through the Entrance Examination conducted by the University. In case of Ph.D. in Management 50% of the sanctioned seats shall be filled by the candidates from the States other than Uttarakhand and 50 % seats shall be filled by the candidates’ Bonafide resident of Uttarakhand State through the entrance examination conducted by the University. If the seats of Ph.D. in Management (self financing) programme are not filled the same shall be filled from the candidates’ Bonafide resident of Uttarakhand State and vice-versa.
(vi) In B.Tech. Agricultural Engineering programme 15% seats will be filled up on All India Basis by the ICAR.
Admission to the following sub categories in UG (Except B.Tech.) shall be available as follows:
ICAR nominee - Foreign National (who pay an institutional fee @ $ 4000 per year besides other fee) - 10%
One seats in each UG programme (except B.Tech. programmes) for the wards of Kashmiri Migrants and Wards of J&K Residents.
Over & above the sanctioned seats, two seats in each Master’s and Ph.D. programmes are available to Foreign Nationals (Students) on payment of an institutional fee of US $ 4000 per year. Four seats are reserved in each Ph.D. major except Molecular Biology & Biotechnology for UGC/ICAR/CSIR fellowship holders. In case of Molecular Biology & Biotechnology Ph.D. major two seats are reserved for DBT fellowship holders and two seats for UGC/ICAR/CSIR fellowship holders. Two seats in each Masters’ and Ph.D. (except Management) are reserved for the sponsored candidates by the ICAR, Indian Universities, Development Departments of State Governments and staff candidates of GBPUA&T, Pantnagar. Two seats in Ph.D. Management are available for in-service Teachers of UGC/ICAR/AICTE/VCI approved Institutions.
Awards and Medals
The University awards the following medals:
1. Chancellor’s Gold Medal: Awarded to the all-round best graduating student of the University at the end of each academic year on the basis of the composite index for academic as well as co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
2. Vice-Chancellor’s Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals: Awarded in each UG degree programmes to those graduating students who secure First, Second and Third positions respectively on the basis of their OGPA (including Failure Points).
3. Dr.Ram Siromani Tewari Award: Awarded to B.Sc. Agriculture Student.
4. Nagamma Shanta Bai Award: Awarded to the B.Sc. Home Science graduate who secure higher marks in RAWE.
5. Sri Puran Anand Adlakha Gold Medal: Awarded to M.Sc. Agriculture (Agronomy) student for Best Thesis.
6. Smt. Saraswati Panda Award: Awarded to B.Sc. Home Science Student.
7. College Merit Certificates: Awarded to the students of each college, separately, making a scholastic grade point average of 8.250 or above, but less than 8.500 out of 10.000 for year of award.
8. University Merit Certificates: Awarded to the student of each college, separately, making a scholastic grade point average of 8.500 or above out of 10.000 for the year of award.
Besides above, a number of scholarships/fellowships offered by the University as also outside agencies are available to the meritorious students.
International School of Agriculture
Authorities of the University:
· Board of Management
· Academic Council
· Board of Faculties
For further details please write to:
Dr. J.P. Pandey
Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture & Technology
Pantnagar – 263145, Distt. Udham Singh Nagar,
Phone: (05944) 233640 (O), 233649 (R)
Fax: (05944) 233640/233473